It's my husband SL's birthday today.
No presents. No special plans. But he's taken leave from work today, so we're gonna have lunch together, after I go to the hairdresser's and aerobics and run some other errands...
We've been like this for a long long time - keeping birthdays, wedding anniversaries, Valentines', Christmases etc low key. Not making them more special than other days if we can help it.
I suppose, it kind of ties in with our "inherently rebellious" nature. Friends who know us long enough know we always try to break convention. We try not to make a big deal out of one day. It wasn't a custom we agreed on years ago but something that we just grew to be. Perhaps we both feel it feels hypocritical when you are nice to one another for one day and are not for the rest of the year.
We are also one of the most "vocal" couples we know. We do not hide our anger/dissatisfaction with each other. Not even in front of his parents, groups of friends etc. No face given, sometimes, you know. To the extent that SL actually thanked me in his uni thesis for it, for being his quote-"sparring partner" unquote. Yep, we two love a good fight or war of words. It's our drama hook, I think.
All said and done, I always ask myself this question: "If given a second chance, would I marry this guy again?"
The answer, inevitably, is yes.
Not because he's the best-looking, nor the most loving, nor the intellectually charming type which I adore, etc etc.... (I'd better not go on, else it'd really ruin his birthday. HeeHee)
But the only reason, I think, it's because he suits me best. And I, hopefully, am the one who also suit him most.
Like my economics-trained good friend Vivien used to say, marriage is like a barter trade, with a double coincidence of wants and needs. It's tough to trade. Tougher to stay trading.
So happy birthday Dear. May we enjoy our many more sparrings in future.
3 comments:
I'm touched. Your closing words must have been the best birthday present SL can ever hope for. Ah.... you have a match made in heaven, the two of you! Help me wish SL a happy birthday.
Rennie
Yeks. Goose pimples popping out now.
No lah. But will wish you happy bday for you.
Yeks. Goose pimples popping out now.
No lah. But will wish you happy bday for you.
Post a Comment