09 September 2008

Gaga over Yoga

It's funny how it took me so long to discover Yoga. "Re-discover" is probably the better word.

I remember several years ago, SL and I signed up for a basic Yoga course. We just had Zern then and it was really tough keeping up with weekly lessons. My only impression of Yoga was of the instructor - quite an old Chinese man - who was much more flexible than I was.

My image of him is very fuzzy, not so much because of the years that have passed, but because he was always too far away during the lessons for us to get a close look. You see, we were always kind of late and had to be at the back of the room most of the time.

I had almost given up on the idea of ever doing Yoga again. Until last year. I signed up for a gym membership then (yes yes, another trapping of Tai Tai life, I admit) and as fate would have it, my first class was one on Yoga. I didn't quite like it. I couldn't balance. I couldn't stretch. It was embarassing to fall down. I thought I would just stick to Aerobics. Then, very slowly, I could feel the usual aches and pains (literally that "pain in the neck" sensation) dissolving away as I perservered. It was enlightening.

I'm glad I held on to the practice. Nowadays, I cannot do without Yoga for too long. Even on holidays like the recent one to Li Jiang, I would do yoga. It doesn't need props, the right shoes etc, and SL joins in too. One of those rare "sports" we both like. He even suggested putting up pix of Yoga at Li Jiang.

Next time you feel age is catching up on you, give Yoga a shot. Maybe all you need is just a good long s-t-r-e-t-c-h....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i do yoga too...DVD, not gym (i not tai tai, lol) and only when it's raining coz i can't go jogging and swimming ;-)

Anonymous said...

yep, when i return to sing, will also do dvd yoga. it's too ex back home.

Contributors