09 March 2007

Friends in Suzhou

Just heard that SL's colleague is posting back to Singapore. The impermanence of my stay here suddenly hit home. I couldn't help but feel like penning something down about my friends here, just so that I won't forget the meaningful albeit short relationships we have.

Looking back, life here would have been harder and lonelier if not for my bunch of Malaysian/ Singaporean friends. We all live in the same compound and meet each other almost every day while waiting for the kids' school bus. It was just natural to clique and exchange all kinds of advice and news.

Somehow, knowing that you are "alone" here makes you appreciate your friends more. Being the "youngest" resident in Suzhou, I gained a great deal from their on-the-ground experience: how to negotiate with your landlord, manage your Ayi, get your driver's licence, shop for the best deals, and even make hainanese chicken rice. I think I can write a book about it!

Thanks BL, BL, C, J and LL (you know who you are) for the heart-to-heart talk over home lunches and tea sessions. It's been my pleasure knowing you all.

No comments:

Contributors